Installing and Using the BIMReview API plugin for Tekla Structures
Something that we as a company have in common with Tekla is the many mutual Customers we share. With so many customers using Tekla to detail their steelwork and StruM.I.S evolution to manage their production, it makes perfect sense that there should be a link between the two.
That link comes in the form of Producing BIMReview models in Tekla that can in turn be imported into StruM.I.S evolution.
Installing the BIMReview API plugin
The Plugin must be installed on the same computers that have Tekla Structures installed. At the time of writing, it is compatible with Versions 16, 16.1, 17 & 18.
The sequence of Installation is as follows;
1) Run the BIMReview installation. This can be downloaded from:
Note: If BIMReview has been previously installed, choose the option to Modify.
2) The Custom Setup screen will be displayed.
3) Choose the components you wish to install. In the example to the right, Tekla Structures version 18.0 Plugin has been selected.
4) Click the Install button to complete the installation.
Adding the Export and Import icons to Tekla Structures
Now that the API Plugin has been installed, it is necessary to add the icons to the workspace within Tekla.
1) Open Tekla.
2) Click on Tools then select Customise.
3) Click on the New button – This has created a UserToolbar1 in the example below.
4) With UserToolbar1 highlighted, type ‘BIM’ into the filter field. This will allow us to find both the Export and Import icons.
5) Add both to the UserToolbar1 by clicking the right arrow as highlighted below.
6) The Icons will now be added to the Tekla toolbar and look like the image below.
Exporting a BIMReview model from Tekla Structures
Now that we’ve installed the BIMReview plugin and added the shortcut icons, we are able to export a BIMReview model.
1) Select the entities you wish to export to BIMReview. I’ve highlighted all items in the simple model below.
2) Click on the BIMReview export icon as shown in the image above.
3) This will open a box as shown below. You must specify a path to export the file too. Other boxes are optional.
4) You may or may not be prompted to Re-mark the model at this point depending on how up to date the marking is for this model.
5) You will receive a message to say that the export is successful, click OK.
3 thoughts on “StruM.I.S Hints & Tips: Installing BIMReview API”
Yeah bookmaking this wasn’t a bad conclusion great post!
Regards for helping out, great info.
Appreciate the advice. Will give it a try.